Monday, May 11, 2009

It's EARLY!

By COCO

I woke up early this morning...6:30! I haven't been awake this early in a few weeks at least. It feels great. It's quiet outside, and all I can hear are the last few raindrops hitting my window sill and the birds chirping. Oh wait...there goes a siren. But you get the idea. Today is 'the big day'. I have my meeting with the director of Babbles Preschool at 7pm tonight. I've got a few things to do...1. Find a Copy General store to print off my CV. 2. Find the restaurant where we're meeting. And 3. Chant.

I'm really hoping I get offered this position. It is exactly what I want, to teach little kids! I have been doing some research on lesson plans and structures for preschool classes, and it's really not as easy as some might think. These children have no idea how to speak English, let alone to read and write it. The lesson plans are very detailed and you have to keep them moving and paying attention at all times (for 3-5 year olds this can be tricky). They want bright colors, pictures and games. They don't like competition, and they LOVE attention. No reading or writing skills can be introduced this early, so it's all about listening and speaking. But no matter how difficult it might be, I can only imagine how wonderful the benefits must be. Their lovely little faces, looking at YOU their teacher expectantly to show them something amazing, something they don't know, and will love you for teaching them after you've finished. PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE let me get this job.

Both Morgen and I have also received word from the Caledonian school here in Prague that they'd like us to fill out application forms. The classes for that school don't begin until September. From their website the job and benefits sound amazing. A monday through friday workweek, health benefits, also FREE intensive Czech lessons for all of their teachers. If we wanted to learn French or Spanish, they also give those courses at a discounted price. So we've got that to hope for as well.

Other than the job search, things are going well. I can only speak for myself on this part though; no job and no money = homesickness/depression. I knew it would be coming, I knew I'd miss everyone terribly. It comes and goes. As soon as I have a job and feel useful again, I'm sure it will subside.

But of course, we've been having tons of fun! On saturday a few of us took a picnic to Vysehrad park (basically a huge castlegrounds). Morgen, myself, Ashleigh from class, her boyfriend Jiri, Logan (one of our teachers roomies who's is leaving back to Utah on the 21st) and one of the new classmates Josh all sat on a blanket, watched people playing frisbee, football (soccer) and just had a great day. We ran into our teacher from class Mila who was meeting his football team to practice, and ended up having a few more people join our picnic. Peter from Rochester (who I'm convinced played Problem Child), Andy and Tom from Ireland, and Morgen's former student Josef. After the picnic we all headed to a restaurace in Old Town Square to try a Czech dish that Jiri had been raving about. It's called svickova na smetane. Basically beef meat with gravy, topped with cream, a slice of lemon and cranberry. YUMMMM!!!! So delicious. I was so full of snacks from our picnic that I didn't eat a lot, but what I did have was so so good! After that some headed home, and some decided to go to a pub and hang out for a while. The 'some' were myself, Morgen, Josh, Mila and all of his football buddies. It's called Acropolis. I couldn't say it for the life of me, I kept thinking "apocolypse"...grrr. Ha. Anyway we had ANOTHER great time there. Danced to techno music, drank pivo and went home to bed.

I guess this blog doesn't really have a point. I just thought I'd fill you all in on what's been going on here the last week or so. It's great! I love it. But I miss home dearly. I need a JOB! :)

Guess that's all for now. Maybe I'll try to sleep a little more. Maybe not...

Ahoj!

2 comments:

  1. Good luck with your meeting tonight!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your girls are our idols. How wonderful that you are brave enough to do this. You will look back at this and be so happy you had the opportunity to go. Please keep the blogs coming. We miss you both.

    Linda

    ReplyDelete